Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Thrift store finds

How many of you are thrift store goers? I love going to the thrift stores! I am always finding lots of great stuff.

I am a homeschooler, and love going to the local thrift store to see what I can find. Recently, I acquired these books. They are brand new, and only ONE dollar a piece!


We are also do-it-yourselfers, and the thrift stores are great finds for home improvement and do-it-yourself project books. Not to mention old and new fiction books. And as we are all verocious readers, this is a good deal.

There are also lots of crafts items at the thrifts stores. Like buttons and zippers. Ribbon and lace. yarn and knitting needles.


But my very favorite thing to find at the thrift store, is this:

Isn't she a beauty? It's a New Home, made in the 1930s, as far as I can tell, from the information I have read on them. In the 1950s, the New Home company was taken over by Janome sewing company. Now I just need to find another treadle, so the White I have at home wont feel so lonely, with my two old electrics :)

Oh, want to guess how much I paid for this machine??

Ready.....$16!

Yes, SIXTEEN dollars. Amazing!!

This machine came with a quilters foot and a little seam regulator...I'm not sure what the name of it is. But you put it on your presser bar, and it helps you to keep the same distance between quilting rows. So maybe I'll finally learn to do some machine quilting :)

Of course, thrift stores have a lot of other great things in them too. But these are the things that I usually bring home.

I'm off to do some more sewing on my strippy stars quilt. I have a new plan, I was just not happy with the way it as coming out. I'll show you when I am done.

Have a wonderful, quilty day.

Till next time,
Dorian

No comments: