Thursday, September 2, 2010

Blackberries



Blackberries signal the end of Summer, here in my next of the woods. My family and I have been busily picking them. They are nutrious, yummy and free! They grow all over the mountains here, and it only takes us about 20 minutes to drive to a creek where they grow so abundantly.

I've been making pies, cobblers and jam the past few days. I use whole wheat flour and honey in my recipes, so it makes this delisious goodness a bit more healthy for us :)

My fabric has taken on a 'blackberry' theme too. Here is a purse I made. With my dd's help (she is only 12!), I finally figured out the zippered pocket. I wanted it done a specific way, so that I had two large pouches on either side of a large zippered pouch. And then I have two small pockets on the inside and the black fabric on the outside, is also pockets. So plenty of room to keep all my stuff.

Those are not actually blackberries on the black fabric, but they are some sort of berries, and their leaves look similar to wild mountain blackberries.



I've also been working on Jess's pattern that she made for Northcott. You can contact Jess for the pattern.

I am testing this pattern, and I can tell you, it is FABULOUS. If you haven't made a Jess pattern yet, you are in for a treat. She has beautiful creations, well written patterns, with lots of visual aids.

My version I think I will rename "Blackberries and cream" Heehehe...as that is what it reminds me of. Here is part of it, I am still working on the border.


We are getting more blackberries tomorrow...I love seeing a larder full of Summer goodness!

Have a great day.

Till next time,

Dorian

No comments: