Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Christmas is coming...

It will be here sooner than we think. I am just amazed at how quickly days are going.

I thought it would be fun to share Christmas recipes, stories, memories...and of course, quilts with you this month. I also have some guest bloggers this month. A few with Christmas stories, a few with quilt related info.

I love to be in the kitchen, baking and cooking for my family. And Christmas time is one of the funnest times to be cooking. There are sooo many yummy treats out there. I love making food gifts for friends and family.

So to kick it off, I am going to share with you my families favorite Christmas cookie recipe. I started this about 8 yrs ago, or so. I was given a Nestle Toll House cookie cookbook one year, and this is where the recipe comes from. My husband is a huge chocolate fan, so when I saw this recipe, I knew I had to make it. And the kids love decorating them too. We made our first batch yesterday.


(this image was taken off google images)
Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies Recipe
2 c Semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
2 3/4 c all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp each salt, ground ginger, and cinnamon
3 tbls butter or margarine
3 tbls sugar
1/2 c molasses
1/4 water

Melt 1 1/2 c choco chips.

Combine flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, and cinnamo
n in bowl. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl until creamy, beat in molasses and melted chocolate. Gradually add in flour mixture alternating w/water. Beat until smooth. Cover and chill for 1 hr, or until firm.

Roll half the dough to 1/4" thickness. Cut into shapes. Repeat w/other half.

Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 5 to 6 minutes or until edges are set but centers are still slightly soft.

Either frost w/a mixture of powder sugar and water or mel
t remaining chocolate chips and drizzle over cookies.



We've had a few snow weekends, finally! My kids and I love the snow. It's been the perfect days for hiding in my sewing corner of the family room. That's where the wood stove is! So not only is it toasty warm, but I have beautiful views to look at, while
I am sewing away.



Last year, I made these stockings for my family. My youngest son didn't want a homemade one, he was happy with his fuzzy one from Walmart with a puppy dog on it. But this year, he says I can make him one :)



What are you making this year?

I have some mug rugs to make (Yes, I have joined the craze!! I was told it's a good way to practice my new found machine quilting skills :) a few bags, maybe some pillow cases, a bedside caddy.....just to name a few things.


This coming weekend the Q&N is having our third anniversary mystery quilt weekend!! I'm sure it's going to be another gorgeous quilt, from our leader and great friend, Jess. Kits are available in the shop. And you can buy the pattern here.

I hope to see you join us!

Stay tuned, I'll be posting a bit more this month...I hope!

Till next time
Dorian






No comments: