Sunday, October 25, 2009

Christmas time

ARGH! Christmas is only a few months away...and you know what that means to us crafty Gals...LOTS of things to make and do. For me, not only do I have craft items I want to make, but I am usually pretty busy in the kitchen too. I love making fudges and other candies, gingerbread men cookies are a big hit here too. Not to mention the pies!

On the forum, we are having fun with a few special swaps. One is the Secret Santa swap. Someone drew names and assigned them to others. So each participant has the name of a Gal she is being a Secret Santa to. And the person you are Santa to, is not Santa to you. How fun! We get to make a special gift for someone and then get a special gift from someone.

And then we have an ornament swap going on. We make a certain amount of ornaments, for however many Gals are playing. Then they swapped around so everyone participating gets an ornament from the other players.

Which means that I've been scouring the net, looking for neat little gifts to make. Thankfully there are tons of crafty sites out there with free patterns on them. And all the quilt magazines and craft magazines have their Christmas editions out. I also love going to the library and browsing thru their Christmas books. The problem is, there are sooo many cute ideas and wonderful gifts to make....I can't decide what to do!

All this talk on Christmas gifts reminds me that I have been wanting to make stockings for my family for a few years now. We are still using the red fuzzy, cheap stockings you can buy at any store. I think it's time for some lovely new handmade ones..... It's a good thing they look easy to make.

I hope you all are having fun getting ready for Halloween too. These next few months are going to be busy ones in crafters houses. And as always, you all are welcome to come on over to the quilt and needle and join in our fun and meet some new friends.

Have a great day all,

Dorian

2 comments:

Vals Quilting said...

Hi Doreen, I usually make all sorts of stuff for christmas exchanges and hostessy gifts and this year is no exception. I'm going to make dish cloths (we all need them and love the knitted ones), aprons (I've made 3 so far) and some sort of paper pieced pin cousin - I must start these as I think I was to make at lease 5 or so..

Anyway, I have your blog in my RSS reader so I can keep track of what you are up to I'm also part of your forum and so far I love it- thanks so much for all of your hard work.
Valerie
http://www.pastimesonline.ca/vals-quilting/

The Quilt and Needle said...

Hi Valerie!

I'm so sorry I didn't see this comment till now. Thanks for the comments. Sounds like you've got your Christmas gifts down for this year. Some great ideas too! I have gotten a few armchair caddy's done, they are so quick and easy.

I've just been browsing your blog. I'm having a great time this year learning about blogs and how to follow them. So much inspiration and good tips out there!

I hope you can join us in our fun on the forum some time.

Have a great day!
Dorian